Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Where am I?


Where am I?
I am everywhere at once and then at one place for quite some time. I am at school. Aurora Public Schools to be exact. I roam the halls as I find my way from class to class.  Going on four years in this high school I find myself accustom to the long tiled hallways that venture to different sections of the school ranging from the science rooms, English department, mathematics, and Ag sections. Each one of these places I have found myself spending much time in as I have endured the life of a high school student.
This year a new place has emerged to take over a lengthy amount of my time: the guidance office.  Between my online medical terminology class that finds its home there and the pressures of college, the guidance office has become a place of comfort and familiarity. As an underclassman the guidance office was too scary and must I add over-rated to visit. Now it is the place that you wish you could spend more time.  
Then there is the Ag department. This has been my home since I was a freshman. It is the place that just seems natural for me to be. I can walk in the rooms to find a quiet place to work or a place roaring with activity. It is the place to meet if you want to have some fun. Now don’t misinterpret the use of fun, because my definition of fun and yours may be two completely different things. It is also a place of deep talks and successes that last a lifetime. It is where I am. I may not be the welding or mechanics type but the excitement and hands on learning have always been my thing. Between horticulture and natural resources my interests have been identified and have drawn me back to those classrooms over and over again. If you find yourself looking for me during the school day, don’t look to hard because I can usually be located with one call down to Mr. Sigler’s room.
Moving away from the subject of school I am at home. My house has been my house since I was a baby. My family has never moved. If I am not at a school activity I am most likely at my house in my basement bedroom working on some form of homework. Senior year has given me a new chance to occupy my Friday and for that matter weekend nights at home trying to finish the load of homework that is assigned every night. Some may call me a homebody, which I am, but I would enjoy to get out every once in a while if the homework would permit it.
This new lifestyle has ultimately put me in a good position. That would be the road to college. With months left in my high school career I would say I am nearing the end of my road to college. This road started back when I was in kindergarten with a desire to learn. It can almost be made a physical road. In my mind I think of the prudential life commercials that tell you to follow the green path to guide you to retirement. The only difference is I am looking towards a college degree before the whole retirement thing. Although retirement sounds like a nice idea to me.
Following my green path of life I plan to find myself in Lincoln, Nebraska attending the University of Nebraska next fall. This is a long way from home when you really think about it. Just over an hour from home and in some foreign dorm room with some roommate I will have to wait to find out. College will be a big change in my life, but it will become my new home that I will come to know and love. It just may take some time to come to this realization.
Home is where the heart is. My heart will always be out in the middle of nowhere, three miles north of Phillips surrounded by cornfields. I feel a sense of comfort as I see the red brick house and the windmill towering over the buildings each time I return home after a trip. There is nothing that can replace that sense of comfort. Even as I age and have a place to call my own home, my heart will always know the security that home can bring to an individual. I am here. I am there. I am everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful posting about what a sense of place or a sense of home really means. I also loved that you emphasized how it makes you feel to be in the Ag Department. I have to agree that hands-on learning (especially horticulture) would be the best! Great job here! Wherever you go, it is nice to know that the farm will always be there.

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete